Lecture and Seminar Participation
- Teaching consists of a weekly lecture and a seminar on a related topic. You are expected to attend both, and to undertake the readings assigned for each seminar.
- You should supplement these activities with background reading, which will help you follow the “story” as the module progresses. We recommend one or more of the following. The Oxford Handbook is particularly good for gaining an awareness of changes in the historiography and research. Lectures and seminars will not make much sense if you don’t have this basic framework.
- John Chasteen, Born in Blood and Fire: A Concise History of Latin America (any edition)
- Andrew Dawson, Latin America since Independence: A History with Primary Sources [Electronic Resource], 2011.
- Will Fowler, Latin America since 1780 (any edition)
- Jose Moya (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Latin American History, 2012.
- Edwin Williamson, Penguin History of Latin America (any edition)
- Use your readings to prepare answers to the seminar questions listed for each week, and come to class prepared to discuss those questions with your tutor and fellow students. You may also be invited to prepare a short presentation for some sessions.
You can find a number of scanned chapters for the seminar readings at AM101 Chapter Scans
- The Reading list for each week and recordings of the lectures through lecture capture are available on the AM101 Moodle Page 2018/19
Seminar groups (from Week 2)
All groups run on Fridays and will be taught by Dr Rosie Doyle
- 10:00-11:00 in H2.46
- 11:00-12:00 in H3.03
- 12:00-13:00 in H1.05
- 14:00-15:00 in H0.44
|2||Iberians, People of the Americas, and Africans (RD)|
|3||Early Contact in the Caribbean and Brazil (RD)|
|6||Reading Week (no class)|
Colonial Society (RE)
|4||The Mexican Revolution and Latin America (BS)|
|6||Reading Week (no lecture)|
|9||The Cold War and the Right in Latin America (BS)|
|10||Democratic Transitions and New Social Movement
Latin America Today (BS)
Dr Rosie Doyle (RD)
Dr Ben Smith (BS)
Professor Rebecca Earle (RE)