This module is a core third-year option.
Module Convenor: Dr Conor Trainor (2019/20)
Summer term 2019
Compulsory Dissertation Briefing and Library Training: Wed June 12, 2-3:30pm in L4 [CT + Chris Vernon and Catriona Matthews]
Autumn term 2019
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ARE COMPULSORY! Attendance registers will be taken; many of these events are also formal monitoring points for the 3rd/4th year.
- Wednesday 2nd October 2019, ___ in ___ (Week 1): Writing a Dissertation: Aims, Methods, Objectives, Problems + Dissertation Training [CT + Chris Vernon and Catriona Matthews]
- Monday 7th October 2019, 12 noon (Week 2) Submit a 250-word plan of study and the (provisional) title of your dissertation on Tabula. This is to facilitate the allocation of appropriate supervisors. Supervisors will be allocated by the end of Week 2.
- Week 3: All students should contact their supervisors to arrange for a supervision in Week 3, to discuss plans of study and work.
- Wednesday 23rd October 2019, 12 noon (week 4): Submit an outline plan of your project including chapter headings; also submit a bibliography of items already read + a list of items which you intend to read. This must be submitted on Tabula.
- Friday 13th December 2019, 12 noon (week 11): Submit a sample chapter on Tabula. You will receive written feedback on this from your supervisor at the start of the spring term.
Spring term 2020
- Thursday 9th January 2020, ___, in ___ (Week 1) Presentation Skills Workshop: How to make an effective presentation? [CT]
- Weeks 2 & 3 (days, locations, and times to be arranged) Present a 10-minute powerpoint presentation before peers and a member of staff of dissertation topic, with handout. This should include an outline of the dissertation as a whole, including chapter headings, and explain the dissertation’s research context and original contribution to the topic. Special attention should be paid to methodology and structure. This will be followed by 5 minutes of discussion. Feedback will be given on all aspects of structure, content, and presentation of the talk. Students should use handouts and Powerpoint presentations as visual aids. Handouts should be given to the staff member leading the group 48 hours before the presentation is due so that photocopies can be made. All participants will fill out a feedback form on the others in their group.
- Wednesday 22nd January 2020 by 12 noon (week 3) Students to submit the precise title of the dissertation on Tabula.
- Friday 6th March 2020 (Week 9) Deadline for submitting drafts to your supervisor. Do not submit more than one chapter for feedback at that stage. If you have an extension to the deadline, please discuss with your supervisor as they may not be readily available after term has finished.
- Monday 16th March 2020 by 12 noon (last day of term) FINAL SUBMISSION DEADLINE - 12 NOON. The final dissertation must be submitted in hard copy to the Departmental office AND electronically on Tabula by the specified deadline. Please don't forget to allow time for printing + binding.
Summer Term 2020
Tues 30th June: Feedback released