- How much of the DNA is made up of the guanine and cytosine bases.
- The binding of a complementary sequence to DNA.
- An area of science looking at the physical properties of biological molecules
The strength of a solution given in molarity (M). µM is x10-6 of M, mM is x10-3 of M.
Deoxyribonucleic acid: A linear molecule found in the nucleus of the cell and contains the building blocks of life
- When double stranded DNA becomes single stranded most commonly by heating.
- Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS)
An instrument that measures the size of small particles
- Emma Gilroy
- A Chemistry PhD student studying at Warwick university.
- The part of DNA which contains the information to create proteins.
- The study of hereditary and how DNA relates to genes.
A molecule that can bind to another.
- Linear Dichroism
- Spectropolarimeter that uses light polarised in two directions (parallel and perpendicular) to the sample to measure the absorbance difference.
- Section of DNA that contains a repeat of the same bases. These can differ between individuals.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction: A method for copying DNA
A large molecule containing four rings that can bind to a metal ion in the middle.
- The study of the flow and friction of fluids.
- An instrument that measures the flow of fluids
- Spectrum means image. It is a way of viewing results over a range of colours of light (wavelength)
- An instrument that measures the properties of polarised light.
- Cyclic particle accelerator
- Found at high temperature (thermo=heat, phile=like)
- An instrument that measures the viscosity of a fluid.
- The measurement of the movement and thickness of a fluid