Peter Elias studied in the sciences before undertaking his doctoral studies in applied labour economics at the University of California at Berkeley. He is a Professor at the Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick, where he has worked across a wide variety of research areas over the last 30 years. These have ranged from the evaluation of large-scale government programmes, statistical monitoring of the status of particular groups in the labour market, the study of occupational change and the relationship between further and higher education, vocational training and labour market outcomes. Related to these research areas, he has developed methods for the measurement and analysis of labour market dynamics and has a keen interest in the classification of labour market activities. He is a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society.
From October 2004 he has acted as the Strategic Advisor for Data Resources to the UK Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) , assisting the ESRC and other research funding councils and agencies with plans to develop data resources for research across the social sciences and at the boundaries between the social sciences and other disciplines.
On 1st November 2013 he was appointed as the Deputy Director for Life Study (the new birth cohort study funded by the ESRC, MRC and University College (UCL), London) and was appointed as an honorary professor at UCL.From 1st April 2014 he becomes Deputy Chair of the Administrative Data Research Board of the UK Statistics Authority.He was awarded a CBE for services to social science in the Queen's birthday honours list in June 2011.
- Public engagement research for the SPF UK Population Laboratory. With Clare Lyonette and Erica Kispeter. Funded by ESRC. Project Start Date: 01/11/2018 - Project End Date: 31/01/2020 [details]
- Degrees of Advantage? A longer-term investigation of the careers of UK graduates. With Chris Warhurst, Daria Luchinskaya, Gaby Atfield and Wil Hunt. Funded by: Nuffield Foundation. Project Start Date: 01/04/2018 - Project End Date: 30/09/2019 [details]
- SOC2020 and Technical Education. Funded by Gatsby. Project Start Date: 01/05/17 - Project End Date: 31/12/2019 [details]
- Revisions to SOC2010. With Margaret Birch. Funded by Office for National Statistics. Project Start Date: 24/11/2016 - Project End Date: 30/06/18 [details]
- Research into Migration in the UK Construction and Built Environment Sector. With Daria Luchinskaya. Funded by Royal Society. Project Start Date: 26/01/2017 - Project End Date: 30/06/2018 [details]
- Precarious pathways to employment for young people? Unpaid, temporary and involuntary part-time work in transitions from education to employment. With Kate Purcell, Gaby Atfield, Peter Elias, Anne Green. Funded by ESRC. Project Start Date: 01/01/2014 - Project End Date: 30/09/2017 [details]
- Elias, P. and K. Purcell (2012) 'Higher Education and Social Background' in Understanding Society Findings 2012 Link: http://research.understandingsociety.org.uk/files/research/findings/Understanding-Society-Findings-2012.pdf, p.23 - 24, Editors: Institute for Social and Economic Research
- Elias, P. (2009) 'A revised UK national strategy for data resources for social and economic research, 2009-2012 (report)', [Report]
- Purcell, K. and Elias, P. (2009) 'Achieving equality in the knowledge economy' in Women and employment: changing lives and new challenges, 19 - 53, Editors: Scott, J., Dex, S. and Joshi, H., Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
Guimarães, N. A, Cardoso, A., Elias, P. and Purcell, K. (2008) Mercados de trabalho e oportunidades: reestruturação econômica, mudança ocupacional e desigualdade na Inglaterra e no Brasil Editors: Guimarães, N. A, Cardoso, A., Elias, P. and Purcell, K., Rio de Janeiro: FGV
- Purcell, K., Wilton, N. and Elias, P. (2007) 'Hard Lessons for Lifelong Learners? Mature graduates and Mass Higher Education' Higher Education Quarterly 61 (1), 57 - 82
All conference presentations