Please send any enquiries about the University of Warwick Archive to Lizzie Morrison or Andree Whittaker.
What it contains
The University of Warwick Archive (UWA) contains the historical records of the University's central administration together with related material. These document the University's principal activities, functions and decisions from its conception in the 1950s until the present day. The archive includes:
- the University’s committee minutes
- publications such as prospectuses, student handbooks and annual reports
- photographs of the campus landscape and departmental buildings
- audio-visual material about events at Warwick, for example the visit of President Clinton in 2000
- records of the former Coventry College of Education, which merged with the University in 1978 and became the Institute of Education
- various student newspapers from the 1960s onwards
- Lord Rootes Memorial Fund project reports from 1968 onwards, which are deposited each summer and can be studied by students looking for inspiration for their own projects
For information about access to the results of Warwick research, please see the Warwick Research Archive Portal (WRAP) and the University of Warwick Publications Service.
General information about the history of the University of Warwick is available elsewhere on the university's website.
Subject to any access restrictions (see below), University members and others can consult records in the archive. Please arrange your visit in advance. Before being given access you will need to provide proof of your identity such as your university card. If you are from outside the University you will also have to complete a research form. Any request to consult restricted records will be referred to the relevant department unless you already have authorisation. We are happy to advise on potential sources in the archive but we can only do a limited amout of research on behalf of enquirers.
Please contact us if you wish to deposit material in the archive. If it falls within our collecting policy, arrangements can be made for it to be transferred here.
Please note: the archive does not contain copies of degree certificates or transcripts of study. Applications for authorised copies (if you still have the original) or replacement copies of degree certificates can be made to the university's Awards and Ceremonies Team. Copies of transcripts of study can be obtained from the Examinations Section of the Academic Office.